Community Forum
Home Page * * Home Page Home Page
  Register
Login 

Delete all board cookies

Contact Us | All times are UTC

Welcome
Welcome to Battlezone 1 Forum!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Home Page Home Page  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Goomba's Map Topic
PostPosted: May 17th, 2017, 3:21 pm 

ssuser wrote:
^ is that supposed to run as a standalone IA map launched from the command line? It doesn't, throws a lua error.

Indeed, you should be able to launch it from the command line like a regular IA map.

The reason why it didn't work was because just before I released the map, I made some small tweaks to the Lua script with Notepad instead of a Lua Editor, and it added an UTF-8 BOM to the beginning of the file.
Unfortunately I made that tweak right after testing the map so I didn't notice something was off until Dx and you reported it.

I have updated the map and it should work as intended now, thanks for reporting the issue. :)

PostPosted: May 18th, 2017, 10:15 pm 

^ I'll try it again.

Small word of advice, based on long experience: whenever you change ANYTHING in a map, even something as simple as an odf parameter or whatever, run the map again and make sure it runs. Never assume it works. If you do, it probably won't. :lol:

You should never post a zip of something that you have not personally run in its final version.

PostPosted: May 19th, 2017, 4:47 pm 

ssuser wrote:
Small word of advice, based on long experience: whenever you change ANYTHING in a map, even something as simple as an odf parameter or whatever, run the map again and make sure it runs. Never assume it works. If you do, it probably won't. :lol:

You should never post a zip of something that you have not personally run in its final version.

Normally I do test everything, and I would go as far as to say it wasn't completely untested. All I did was make a small edit to a comment in the Lua file with Notepad, but because there is a letter E with a grave accent in the file, it converted it to UTF-8 and added the BOM to the file, it wasn't visible except with a hex editor.

It's indeed true that once you start assuming it works, that will be when it goes wrong, serves me right I guess. :lol:

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 8:00 am 

The map works, I guess I really don't get what it is, a reimagining of the last CCA mission? Not on the right terrain, if that is what it is. Romeski came in from elsewhere on the last CCA map, we have no idea what he had for his own forces, if any.

Scripting was neat, but I think the day wreckering was over the top. These should come at longer intervals.

Also, during testing, I noticed that soldiers were simply respawning from nowhere shortly after I killed some of them off. This was quite annoying, and in the future you should consider having every spawn next to a barracks, and have them spawn on a somewhat timed interval, rather than a near instant respawn. The NSDF and CCA do not have unlimited amounts of men to do foot patrols, after all.

I did enjoy looking at your lua functions. I loved the injured APCs throwing out their men when the ship was about to blow. I may borrow that in the future, with your permission.

PostPosted: May 20th, 2017, 10:05 am 

ssuser wrote:
The map works, I guess I really don't get what it is, a reimagining of the last CCA mission? Not on the right terrain, if that is what it is. Romeski came in from elsewhere on the last CCA map, we have no idea what he had for his own forces, if any.

Maybe that description, and "reimagining", may have been a bit confusing, it's very loosely based on the same objectives as CCA Mission 8, but as far as anything else goes, you have to forget what you know from the original. I mainly wanted it to be a fun cooperative mission for MPI, but I think it also plays quite well as a normal IA map, and I was curious to see if such a hybrid was possible at all (the script is split up in a SP/MP part).

I always thought Romeski's in-game introduction was a bit underwhelming and short, so I tried to make it a bit more eventful this time.

ssuser wrote:
Scripting was neat, but I think the day wreckering was over the top. These should come at longer intervals.

I might have overlooked that one, the interval might be right for MPI but could be too much in IA. In the times that I tested the IA part I never got wreckered all that much, but maybe I was just lucky.

ssuser wrote:
Also, during testing, I noticed that soldiers were simply respawning from nowhere shortly after I killed some of them off. This was quite annoying, and in the future you should consider having every spawn next to a barracks, and have them spawn on a somewhat timed interval, rather than a near instant respawn. The NSDF and CCA do not have unlimited amounts of men to do foot patrols, after all.

I admit that was a little bit cheap, the soldiers spawn on random points in a fairly long path so I thought it wouldn't be very obvious, but I suppose if you go hunting for them then you might find out what happens fairly quickly. They stop spawning whenever the Black Dog Recycler is destroyed.

ssuser wrote:
I did enjoy looking at your lua functions. I loved the injured APCs throwing out their men when the ship was about to blow. I may borrow that in the future, with your permission.

For sure, feel free to copy and/or adapt any part of the script that you think is useful.

Greatly appreciate the feedback, thanks for playing! :)

Home Page Home Page  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page
 Previous << 
1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Contact Us | All times are UTC